What the heck did I just read? Seriously! What was that?!

Jake and a woman known only as “The Girlfriend” are taking a long drive to meet his parents at their secluded farm. On the trip back home Jake takes a sudden detour leaving “The Girlfriend” stranded at a deserted high school. In my opinion that description is misleading. It took more than three quarters of the book to get to this point while I believed based on this description that the desertion would happen early on and would be the main plot of the story. I incorrectly assumed that the story was heading for a murder mystery. That’s why I wanted to read this book but it’s not the story I got.

You will be scared. But you won’t know why. A great tag line, right? There is some truth to it but the fear never really grabbed me. There appeared to be two stories happening at once. 1 – Strange phone calls to “The Girlfriend” and 2 – The road trip to see Jake’s parents. The first 80% of the book seemed to focus on #1 while the remaining 20% focused on #2. The two elements of the story were a bit frightening and filled with tension but I didn’t see a connection between the them. Nor do I feel that the events happening in the beginning were explained. I can’t stop shaking my head. Hoping I’ll shake lose some explanation. The ending! I feel like I missed a big portion of the book. I have no idea what happened. NONE! I feel stupid because I didn’t understand the ending. AT. ALL.

This book wasn’t for me but it might be for you. If you like psychological, brain teasers this is the book for you. And if you can explain the ending to me, I’d love to hear it.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Rating: 2 stars

Reviewer: Jennifer

Title: I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Author: Iain Reid

Release Date: June 14, 2016

Don’t miss any of the bookish fun. Subscribe now!

Check out the Contest Page for our latest giveaways!